The International Hospital Federation (IHF) announced the winners of the IHF Awards 2022 on 10 November at 18:00 (GMT+4) as part of a special Awards Ceremony and Gala Dinner at the 45th World Hospital Congress at the Dubai Convention and Exhibition Centre (DWTC), UAE.
During the ceremony, attended by hospital and healthcare leaders from around the globe, Gold, Silver, and Bronze Awards were revealed in each of the seven Awards categories, as well as honourable mentions for other exceptional entries in each category.
The Awards Committee, composed of health leaders from around the world and chaired by Dr Lawrence Lai, IHF Honorary Member, scored over 400 entries submitted from 35 countries/territories – a record since the Awards were established in 2015. The scoring for the 6 Excellence Awards is based on five criteria: originality and innovation; intended impact; adaptability and scalability; scientific rigor; and clarity. For the Grand Hospital Award, entries were scored based on overall success in achieving the five dimensions of healthcare delivery (health service quality, patient experience, clinical outcomes and health equity, cost efficiency, and workforce wellbeing), as well as ability to sustain their success, and clarity.
The projects and programmes presented in each entry shine a light on innovative, impactful work in hospitals across the globe. In recognizing these achievements, the IHF Awards are an important aspect of the IHF’s commitment to international knowledge exchange. Motivated by a shared commitment to well-managed hospitals, the winners of IHF Awards exemplify good practices that improve the level, quality, and sustainability of healthcare service delivery.
The IHF Awards recipients in each category are as follows.
Dr Kwang Tae Kim Grand Hospital Award – recognizing hospitals that excelled in the five dimensions of healthcare delivery: health service quality, patient experience, clinical outcomes and health equity, cost efficiency, and workforce wellbeing.
- Gold: Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi (UAE), and Severance Hospital (Republic of Korea)
- Silver: Tan Tock Seng Hospital (Singapore)
- Bronze: Al Qassimi Hospital (UAE), and King Faisal Medical Complex, Taif (KSA)
- Honourable mentions: Dubai Hospital – Dubai Academic Health Corporation (UAE), Apollo Hospitals, Chennai (India), AZ Maria Middelares (Belgium), and Apollo Proton Cancer Centre (India)
Seddiqi Holding Excellence Award for Corporate Social Responsibility – acknowledging excellence or outstanding achievements in advancing corporate social responsibility.
- Gold: Hôpitaux Universitaires de Genève (HUG) (Switzerland)
- Silver: Cardioinfantil Foundation | LaCardio (Colombia)
- Bronze: Apollo Children’s Hospitals, Chennai (India)
- Honourable mentions: Mariano Marcos Memorial Hospital and Medical Center (Philippines), Democrito O. Plaza Memorial Hospital (Philippines), Emirates Health Services (UAE), Apollo Proton Cancer Centre (India), Parkridge Health System (USA), and Prince Sultan Cardiac Center (KSA)
Ashikaga-Nikken Excellence Award for Green Hospitals – honouring hospitals and healthcare organizations promoting sustainable and eco-friendly initiatives.
- Gold: Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi (UAE), and Japanese Red Cross Matsuyama Hospital (Japan)
- Silver: Aga Khan Health Service (Pakistan)
- Bronze: Buddhist Dalin Tzu Chi Hospital (Taiwan)
- Honourable mentions: NMC Royal Hospital, Khalifa City, Abu Dhabi (UAE), Hôpitaux Universitaires de Genève (HUG) (Switzerland), Apollo Proton Cancer Centre (India), Abdullah bin Omran Hospital for Obstetrics and Gynecology (UAE), Centro Hospitalar Entre Douro e Vouga (Portugal), and Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (UK)
Sultanate of Oman Excellence Award for Health Services During Crisis – recognizing exemplary achievements of hospitals and healthcare organizations in developing countries during a time of crisis.
- Gold: Shaukat Khanum Memorial Trust (Pakistan)
- Silver: Manila Doctors Hospital and Circle of Partners (Philippines)
- Bronze: Philippine Children’s Medical Center – Pediatric Blood Center (PedBC) (Philippines)
- Honourable mentions: People’s Hospital 115 (Vietnam), Democrito O. Plaza Memorial Hospital (Philippines), HOPE Foundation for Women and Children of Bangladesh (Bangladesh), Apollo Hospitals, Chennai (India), and Dr Jose N Rodriguez Memorial Hospital and Sanitarium, Department of Health (Philippines)
American Hospital Association Excellence Award for Healthcare Workers’ Wellbeing – recognizing excellence or outstanding achievements in ensuring the wellbeing and sustainability of healthcare workers.
- Gold: Tan Tock Seng Hospital (Singapore)
- Silver: Al Amal Psychiatric Hospital, Emirates Health Services (UAE), and Fundació Sanitària Mollet
- Bronze: Not Seen on Me Foundation (Foundation NWPM) (Poland), and Myongji Hospital (Republic of Korea)
- Honourable mentions: Unidade Local de Saúde de Matosinhos, E.P.E. (Portugal), Tawam Hospital (UAE), Lorma Medical Center (Philippines), and Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare (USA)
American College of Healthcare Executives Excellence Award for Leadership and Management – honouring excellence or outstanding achievements in leadership and management in leading a hospital or healthcare organization.
- Gold: Emirates Health Services (UAE)
- Silver: Emirates Health Services (UAE), and Tan Tock Seng Hospital (Singapore)
- Bronze: Philippine Children’s Medical Center (Philippines), Commonwealth Healthcare Corporation (Northern Mariana Islands), Emirates Health Services (UAE), and Pathology and Genetics Department – Dubai Academic Health Corporation (UAE)
- Honourable mentions: Portuguese Oncology Institute of Porto (IPO Porto) (Portugal), Royal Hospital (Oman), and Saudi Commission for Health Specialties – Healthcare Leadership Academy (KSA)
Austco Excellence Award for Quality and Patient Safety – acknowledging excellence or outstanding achievements in promoting and enhancing quality and patient safety.
- Gold: Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, Veterans Health Administration (VHA) (USA)
- Silver: Riley Children’s Health at Indiana University Health (USA)
- Bronze: King Saud Medical City (KSA)
- Honourable mentions: Corniche Hospital (UAE), Apollo Proton Cancer Centre (India), Saudi German Health Cairo (Egypt), Cascais Hospital (Portugal), Emirates Health Services (UAE), and Rashid Hospital – Dubai Academic Health Corporation (UAE)
Gold winners were invited to present their winning programmes and projects in a special parallel session at the World Hospital Congress.
A brochure presenting details of each of the Award-winning initiatives is now available online to inspire hospital leaders and healthcare professionals around the world:
The IHF Awards 2023 will be awarded at the 46th World Hospital Congress in Lisbon (Portugal). The call for entries will be announced in March 2023.